No Extension of Deadline, INEC insists
The
Independent National Electoral Commission says it will not extend the deadline
for submission of list of candidates by political parties for the 2019 general
elections.
The Chief
Press Secretary to INEC chairman, Mr. Rotimi Oyekanmi, disclosed this in an
interview with the News Agency of Nigeria on Friday in Abuja.
Oyekanmi
said that the Commission had scheduled the submission of candidates’ names for
the Presidential and National Assembly between October 10 and 18, and deadline
for the governorship and state Assemblies election for November 2, and there is
no extension.
“The
Commission is following its timetable and schedule of activities for 2019
general elections. No extension of deadline for submission.”
Rotimi, who
was unable to give the precise number of political parties that met the
deadline as at the time of filing this report, said “over 80 political parties
made it, but I am still waiting for the precise number.”
NAN
correspondent, who also visited the Aso Hall, International Conference Centre,
Abuja, the venue of the submission after the deadline, reports that some
officers of political parties who got tallies on Wednesday night were still
going through the submission process.
A staff of
the Commission, who pleaded anonymity, told NAN that issuing of tally to
political parties stopped on Thursday night.
He said due
to the last-minute rush by political parties, INEC staff, security officers and
other personnel on duty at the venue were unable to go home.
He said that
they had reached about 70 out of over 80 political parties that had so far
submitted their candidates’ list.
He also
confirmed that the ruling All Progressives Congress and major opposition party,
Peoples Democratic Party, had submitted their forms.
NAN reports
that as at 4p.m. on Friday, some political parties’ representatives were seen
in front of the hall waiting for their turn to submit their forms.
FORM punchng.com
No comments