Trump to 'Punish' Saudis Over Journalist
President
Donald Trump has said the US will inflict "severe punishment" on
Saudi Arabia if the kingdom is found to be responsible for the death of
journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
He said he
would be "very upset and angry if that were the case", but ruled out
halting big military contracts.
Mr
Khashoggi, a critic of the Saudi government, vanished on 2 October after
visiting its consulate in Istanbul.
Saudi Arabia
dismissed allegations that it ordered his killing as "lies".
The interior
minister said on Friday that the kingdom was keen to uncover "the whole
truth", stressing reports "about orders to kill" are
"baseless".
A Turkish
security source has told the BBC that officials had audio and video evidence
proving Mr Khashoggi, who writes for the Washington Post, was murdered inside
the consulate.
The
country's Foreign Minister, Mevut Cavusoglu, said Saudi Arabia was not yet
co-operating with the investigation.
He urged it
to do so and allow Turkish officials to enter the consulate.
In an
interview with CBS News, Mr Trump said that, if true, the fact that a
journalist was murdered was "terrible and disgusting".
"We're
going to get to the bottom of it and there will be severe punishment," he
said.
"As of
this moment, they deny it vehemently. Could it be them? Yes," he added.
However, he
said that there were "other ways of punishing" than cancelling
military contracts, which powers like Russia and China were interested in.
"I
don't want to hurt jobs, I don't want to lose an order like that," Mr
Trump said.
Speaking to
journalists later, Mr Trump said his first hope had been that Mr Khashoggi was
not killed, but "maybe that is not looking good".
He would
probably call Saudi King Salman "tonight or tomorrow", he added.
On Friday UN
Secretary General Antonio Guterres told the BBC that "this kind of
incident is multiplying" and urged the international community to respond.
He said
that, once it was clear what had happened to Mr Khashoggi, governments should
decide "in the appropriate way" whether to attend an investment
conference to be held in the Saudi capital Riyadh this month
Jim Kim, the
head of the World Bank, has already withdrawn from the event.
Sir Richard
Branson, the head of Virgin, has said he is suspending his role as director of
two tourism projects.
He has also
halted discussions about a $1bn (£750m) investment by the Saudi sovereign
wealth fund into Virgin's space ventures.
The latest
reports suggest an assault and a struggle took place in the consulate.
A Turkish
security source has confirmed to BBC Arabic the existence of an audio and a
video recording. What is not clear is if anyone other than Turkish officials
has seen or heard them.
One source
is quoted by the Washington Post as saying men can be heard beating Mr
Khashoggi; it adds that the recordings show he was killed and dismembered.
"You
can hear his voice and the voices of the men speaking Arabic," a separate
source told the Post, which employed Mr Khashoggi as a contributing columnist.
"You can hear how he was interrogated, tortured and then murdered."
Turkish TV
has already broadcast CCTV footage of the moment Mr Khashoggi walked into the
consulate for an appointment at which he was due to receive papers for his
forthcoming marriage to Turkish fiancée Hatice Cengiz.
Separately,
a video has emerged of men described as Saudi intelligence officers entering
and leaving Turkey.
Turkish
media say sources have identified a 15-strong team involved in Mr Khashoggi's
disappearance. The BBC has been told that one was Maher Mutreb, an intelligence
colonel based in London, and another was thought to be a forensics specialist.

No comments