Coronavirus: Over 10,000 lives lost in Spain

Spain has
passed another grim coronavirus milestone after the number of deaths exceeded
10,000.
The country,
the second-worst hit in terms fatalities, has also lost nearly 900,000 jobs.
The US, too, has registered 6.6m new jobless benefit claims - a record.
The
unemployment figures are another sign of the dire impact the pandemic is having
on businesses in many countries.
Worldwide,
confirmed coronavirus infections are nearing one million.
That's according
to Johns Hopkins University, which tracks virus figures globally. Its tracker
also recorded more than 47,000 deaths; some 195,000 people have recovered.
Covid-19 -
the disease caused by coronavirus - has now claimed 10,003 lives in Spain as
950 new deaths were reported in the last 24 hours, the health ministry said.
The number
of confirmed cases rose from 102,136 on Wednesday to 110,238, an 8% rise that
is similar to the rate recorded in previous days. Authorities believe the virus
is now peaking and say they expect to see a drop in figures in the days ahead.
"We
continue with an increase of around 8%. This points, as we have already seen,
to a stabilisation in the data that we're registering," MarÃa José Sierra,
from the Spanish health ministry's emergency co-ordination unit, said at a news
conference.
This, she
said, is resulting in an "important lowering" in the increase in the
number of people being taken to intensive care units, already under pressure
across the country.
March's
unemployment figure is the highest monthly jobless rise ever recorded in the
country, which already had one of the eurozone's highest jobless rates.
Spain banned
all but essential outings and shut most businesses in mid-March.
The data
shows 898,822 people have lost their jobs since the start of the lockdown,
including about 550,000 temporary workers. Spain's official unemployment figure
rose to 3.5 million, the highest level since April 2017.

The numbers
come amid dire predictions about the possible economic impact of the measures
imposed to fight the virus. A UN report estimated that up to 25 million jobs
could be lost around the world.
The number
of new claims for unemployment benefit filed in the week ending 28 March, 6.65
million, was double the previous week's claims of 3.3 million, according to
Labor Department figures.
The latest
numbers were far higher than analysts' expectations and reflect the growing impact
of businesses forced to shut down as lockdowns are imposed in more US states.
The Labor
Department's report cited the impact across hospitality, manufacturing and
retail.
There are
fears that the number of jobless could reach 20 million, or 15% of the
workforce - higher than during the Great Recession of the 1930s.
More than
5,000 people have died in the US, including a six-week-old baby in Connecticut,
believed to be the youngest American victim of the virus so far. Officials
warned as many as 240,000 people could die in the US, even with the
mitigation measures in place.
Confirmed
infections across the US rose by more than 25,000 in one day. The worst-hit
place is New York City, where nearly 47,500 people have tested positive and
more than 1,300 have died, but new clusters are flaring up in places like
Detroit and New Orleans.
Florida,
Georgia and Mississippi have become the latest US states to issue lockdown
orders. More than 75% of the country's population have been ordered to stay at
home.
Italy has
the world's highest death toll - 13,155 - and more than 110,000 confirmed
cases. The country was the first in the West to impose stringent measures to
curb the virus, and the government has warned of a "severe"
recession.
On Thursday,
Italy's main business association said industrial output could fall up to 15%
in the second quarter of the year. It already fell by the most since 2009 in
the first three months of this year.
Germany's
Economy Minister Peter Altmaier warned the country's gross domestic product
(GDP) - the sum of the value of goods and services produced in the economy -
could see a decline this year bigger than during the 2009 financial crisis.
In other
developments around the world,Russia's President Putin has extended the
period for Russians to stay away from work to the end of April, while Belgium's
death toll has passed 1,000.
In Iran more
than 3,100 deaths have been officially confirmed
UK Prime
Minister Boris Johnson said the government needed to "massively ramp
up" testing amid growing criticism over its response.
Philippines' President
Rodrigo Duterte warned people they could be shot dead if they caused trouble
over restrictions, saying the police and the military had the authority to
shoot if their lives were in danger.
In China,
the city of Shenzhen has banned the eating of cats and dogs following
the outbreak
Dharavi, a
huge slum in India's financial capital, Mumbai, has reported its first
death linked to the coronavirus. More than a million people live in extremely
overcrowded conditions in Dharavi, believed to be the biggest slum in Asia.
Canada's Prime
Minister Justin Trudeau has promised the largest economic programme in the
country's history
No comments