Man Utd May Accept Cut Prize Deal For Pogba

The club
valued the World Cup winner at £180m just under a year ago but would now be
lucky to get half that figure due to the economic crisis
Ed
Woodward's admission that it would not be "business as usual"
for Manchester United during the next transfer window should come as
little or no surprise to anyone.
The club
will find itself in a better position than most when the market reopens but the
impact of Covid-19 on the global economy is undoubtedly going to have an effect
on football's finances.
Manager Ole
Gunnar Solskjaer said earlier in the month that he hopes to "exploit"
the transfer market to strengthen his squad and financial experts are of the
opinion that United will be one of the few clubs in a position to spend.
However, certain
deals are already being ruled out due to the biggest financial crisis the game
has ever faced.
Tottenham striker
Harry Kane was under consideration but senior figures at United had already
abandoned the idea of signing the England captain before Woodward
addressed the fans' forum on Friday.
"Nobody
should be under any illusions about the scale of challenge facing everyone in
football and it may not be 'business as usual' for any clubs, including
ourselves, in the transfer market this summer," the executive
vice-chairman said.
"As
ever, our priority is the success of team, but we need visibility of the impact
across the whole industry, including timings of the transfer window, and the
wider financial picture, before we can talk about a return to normality.
"On
this basis, I cannot help feeling that speculation around transfers of
individual players for hundreds of millions of pounds this summer seems to
ignore the realities that face the sport."
Those
realities are unavoidable, even at United. It's now possible that the club will
entertain ideas that would previously have been dismissed out of hand.
Last summer,
United valued Paul Pogba at £180 million ($224m). However, with so much
uncertainty now surrounding the market due to the Covid-19 outbreak, the World
Cup winner would now be lucky to fetch even half of that figure.
Pogba's
present contract expires in 2021 but United have the option to extend it for a
further year. They have yet to do so, though, and the Covid-19 crisis leaves
them with a trickier decision to make this summer than they were expecting.
Cash in now
before Pogba's value falls even further? Or trigger the extension and hope that
prices return to something resembling their previous levels next year?
Pogba has
already made it clear he wants a challenge away from United and his agent Mino
Raiola has been doing his best to try and engineer a move for the
27-year-old France international.
So, does
Solskjaer even want to retain a player that isn't committed to his rebuilding
project? If not, then selling the France international this summer, even at a
knockdown price, would make sense, as it would still generate a considerable
amount of money for new signings.
England winger
Jadon Sancho remains a priority, given his youth and pace, but striking a deal
with Borussia Dortmund won't be easy.
"There
is no new situation. Currently no club will risk anything in making a big money
move - not even in England," BVB chief Michael Zorc said on Monday.
"We have a long-term contract with Jadon Sancho and that is why we are
totally relaxed."
The
former Manchester City star would likely cost around £100m ($124m) –
a sum that Woodward has conceded is no longer a legitimate price to pay – so
it's easy to understand why Zorc and the Dortmund hierarchy feel relaxed over a
potential transfer.
However,
United are still going to be one of a handful of clubs who will be able to
spend, while some of their cash-strapped rivals may be forced to accept
cut-price deals for their stars.
So, if
United offload players they deem surplus to requirements, such as Pogba, it may
be possible to land a top target after all.
FROM .goal.com/en-gb/news/man-utd-may-be-pushed-into-pogba-decision
No comments