Premier League Clubs Committed to Completing Season
Premier
League clubs remain committed to playing the 92 remaining fixtures of the
current season but did not discuss a deadline by which play must resume at a
meeting on Friday.
Clubs were
expected to debate a 30 June deadline to end the season but instead
discussed "possible scheduling models".
The Premier
League said it "remains our objective" to complete matches but
currently "all dates are tentative".
The league
has been suspended since 13 March because of coronavirus.
It is
understood some clubs expected to discuss the proposed 30 June deadline at
Friday's meeting but it was decided now was not the right time to do so.
In a
statement, the Premier League said "in common with other businesses and
industries" clubs were "working through complex planning
scenarios".
"Today's
shareholders' meeting provided an opportunity to discuss possible scheduling
models," it added.
"It
remains our objective to complete the 2019-20 season but at this stage all
dates are tentative while the impact of Covid-19 develops."
Earlier this
month the Premier League said play will only resume when "it is safe
and appropriate to do so" and the number of coronavirus deaths in the
UK has since risen to more than 12,000.
On Thursday,
the government issued a further three-week lockdown to ensure social distancing
and manage the spread of the virus.
BBC sports
editor Dan Roan has learned Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden spoke to Premier
League bosses this week and signalled the government was content for them to
start contingency planning.
But nothing
will be taken forward without the green light from the government, in
accordance with medical advice.
In a section
on player welfare at the meeting, it was decided tests for coronavirus would
have to be widely available to the public before the widespread testing of
players.
When and how
football resumes has been widely debated across the sport as clubs face up to
financial difficulties and the logistical issues caused by a late finish to the
season.
The
contracts of numerous players expire on 30 June, including those of Chelsea
midfielder Willian and Tottenham defender Jan Vertonghen.
If the
season is extended beyond that date there is a possibility clubs will lose
players before fixtures are concluded.
World
governing body Fifa is aware of the problem and is looking at alternatives such
as rolling contract extensions.
The 30 June
date is also an issue for clubs around agreed changes in kit manufacturers.
Liverpool are due to change shirt manufacturers from New Balance to Nike, while
Watford and Newcastle are also set to use new suppliers.
In a BBC
Sport vote on how the season should be dealt with 39% of respondents
wanted to 'declare the season null and void', with 28% opting to 'finish the
season no matter how long it takes'.
Uefa has
pleaded for leagues to give them time to return with their own proposals for
ending the season across Europe.
European
football's governing body will meet next week to further discuss plans which
include potentially using the Champions League final to end the 2019-20
season on 29 August.
Lower down
the football pyramid in England, the EFL has sent a letter to clubs
recommending they return to training on 16 May at the earliest.
The EFL has
not discussed a league restart date with the government but told clubs:
"Our planning needs to be agile enough to allow us to be as prepared as
possible for a start at relatively short notice."
In the end,
the 30 June deadline demand some were so keen to push earlier in the week was
never raised.
The feeling
that today's meeting was not the right time to widen the debate and the Premier
League desire for a united front was strong enough to dissuade a discussion
that would have extended the chat, which was wrapped up in under two hours.
Individual
clubs will go away to continue discussions with players about wage cuts and
deferrals and wait to see what comes out of two Uefa meetings next week.
Before their
next scheduled meeting on 1 May, lessons should also be absorbed from Germany.
Some
Bundesliga players have already returned to their clubs for training under
social distancing rules - getting changed at home and returning to shower after
picking up some food.
A Bundesliga
meeting on Thursday will offer guidance on if and when this can be stepped up
following the revised regulations announced by German Chancellor Angela Merkel
on Wednesday.
It will
start to offer the Premier League some kind of clarity over the major
discussions today, which centred around different start and end dates to play
the remainder of the 2019-20 campaign.
At the
moment, it is felt eight weeks will be enough from returning to training in
order to regain match fitness and play nine rounds of games to complete the
season.
Germany's
experience will help frame whether that prospect is a realistic one.
In the
meantime, as has been the case since matches were first called off five weeks
ago, the only certainty is uncertainty.
The body
that represents Europe's top leagues says when football does return
it will "no doubt" be played behind closed doors.
At present,
the state of play in the continent's top leagues is:
Germany's
Bundesliga: Clubs have returned to training but the season is still
suspended until 30 April.
Spain's La
Liga: There will be no training until emergency measures in place are
lifted and La Liga president Javier Tebas says resuming play on 28 May is a
best-case scenario.
France's
Ligue 1: French football authorities are considering restarting Ligue 1 on
3 or 17 June, with the latter date the more likely, according to sports daily
L'Equipe.
Italy's
Serie A: The Italian Football Federation (IFF) hopes to begin testing
players for the virus at the start of May, in preparation for the season to
resume.
FROM .bbc.com/sport/football
No comments