Coronavirus: Boris Johnson 'Still in Charge' Despite Hospital Admission

UK Prime
Minister Boris Johnson is "still very much in charge of the
government" despite spending the night in hospital with coronavirus,
Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick has said.
The PM was
taken to a London hospital on Sunday evening with "persistent
symptoms" - including a temperature - for a series of routine tests.
It is said
to be a "precautionary step" taken on the advice of his doctor.
Mr Johnson,
55, tested positive for coronavirus 10 days ago.
Foreign
Secretary Dominic Raab chaired Monday morning's coronavirus meeting in his
place.
Last month,
the prime minister's spokesman said if Mr Johnson was unwell and unable to
work, Mr Raab, as the first secretary of state, would stand in.
Mr Jenrick
told BBC Breakfast: "We hope that as a result of these tests [the prime
minister] will be able to come back to Downing Street as soon as possible.
"He's
been working extremely hard leading the government and being constantly
updated. That's going to continue."
"I'm
sure this is very frustrating for him, for somebody like Boris who wants to be
hands [on] running the government from the front, but nonetheless he's still
very much in charge of the government," he added.
US President
Donald Trump is among those who has sent his wishes to Mr Johnson.
"All
Americans are praying for him. He's a great friend of mine, a great gentleman
and a great leader," Mr Trump said, adding that he was sure the prime
minister would be fine because he is "a strong person".
And Labour
leader Keir Starmer said he hoped the prime minister had a "speedy
recovery".
Health
Minister Nadine Dorries, who herself tested positive for coronavirus last
month, said many of those with the virus would be "felled" by fatigue
and a high temperature and use isolation to sleep and recover.
"Boris
has risked his health and worked every day on our behalf to lead the battle
against this vile virus," she said in a tweet.
Meanwhile,
the former head of the civil service Lord Kerslake said it may be
"sensible" for Mr Johnson to "step back" if he is not well
enough to carry out his role for now.
"I
think in the end if he's not well, he will have to reflect on this because the
job's tough at the best of times and it's doubly tough now," he told the
BBC Radio 4's Today programme.
Although
Downing Street insist the PM is still in charge, if the medics insist he needs
to rest and recuperate then he may well have to take a step back for a period
of time.
In the UK we
no longer have a deputy prime minister - the last one was Nick Clegg under
David Cameron.
Technically,
Dominic Raab - as first secretary of state - would be expected to step up.
His position
as foreign secretary, however, does not put him at the centre of the fight
against coronavirus.
It would
seem likely therefore that the two figures who would be expected to take a key
role would be Cabinet Office Minister Michael Gove and Health Secretary Matt
Hancock.
Both men
have been frequent representatives of the government at the daily news
conferences.
Fortunately,
however, many of the key decisions - namely how long the lockdown should
continue and what the exit strategy should be - still appear some way off.
At the
moment the focus is on "flattening the curve" and reducing the level
of infections and admissions to hospital.
The
day-to-day decisions are therefore likely to depend much more on the advice of
the scientists and officials.
The really
big decisions are some way off - when it is hoped the prime minister will have
recovered.
Dr Sarah
Jarvis, a GP and broadcaster, told the BBC that Mr Johnson would be likely to
have his chest X-rayed and his lungs scanned, particularly if he had been
struggling for breath.
She said he
is also likely to have an electrocardiogram to check his heart's function, as
well as tests on his oxygen levels, white blood cell count, and liver and
kidney function before he is released from hospital.
Mr Johnson
has worked from home since it was announced that he had tested positive for
coronavirus on 27 March.
He was last
seen in public applauding the NHS and other key workers from his flat in
Downing Street on Thursday evening, and chaired a coronavirus meeting remotely
on Friday morning.
Also on
Friday, the prime minister posted a Twitter video in which said he was still
displaying minor symptoms.
"I
still have a temperature. So in accordance with government advice I must
continue my self isolation until that symptom itself goes," he said.
"But
we're working clearly the whole time on our programme to beat the virus."
On Saturday,
his pregnant partner Carrie Symonds tweeted that she had spent a week in bed
with the main symptoms.
She said she
had not been tested for the virus.
Health
Secretary Matt Hancock had also tested positive for the virus and returned from
self-isolation on Thursday to host the daily Downing Street news conference.
The
government's chief medical adviser, Prof Chris Whitty, also self-isolated after
showing symptoms but has now recovered and is back at work.
The news of
Mr Johnson's admission to hospital came shortly after the Queen delivered
a rallying message to the nation, saying the UK "will succeed" in its
fight against the coronavirus pandemic.
In a rare
speech, the monarch thanked people for following government rules to stay at
home and praised those "coming together to help others".
FROM .bbc.com/news/uk
No comments