Appeal Court Suspend Interim Order On Seplat
The Court of
Appeal has suspended the interim order by Federal High Court, Lagos, sealing
Seplat Petroleum Development Company's offices.
The offices
were sealed sequel to a court action launched by Access Bank Plc. over alleged
unpaid loans by Cardinal Drilling Services Limited.
However, the appellate court, in a lead ruling by Justice Joseph Ikyegh, on an application
by Seplat for an order of the Court suspending the interim order pending the
determination its appeal held on Friday that Access Bank had nothing to lose
should Seplat carry on with its businesses and
continue to discharge its obligations to its various customers.
The ruling was also concurred by two other justices of the court, Hon. Justice Bayero
Abdullahi Mahmoud and Hon. Justice Umaru Abubakar, the court held that the
balance of convenience favoured the petroleum company.
The Court of
Appeal equally suspended the order stopping banks from fulfilling their
banks-customers obligations to Seplat.
Justice
Ikyegh, however, ordered the company to issue a bond of $20 million in the name
of the Court's Chief Registrar, an order Seplat's counsel, Etigwe Uwa, SAN told
the court had been fulfilled.
In
suspending the FHC order, the Court of Appeal observed that since Seplat
supplied gas to three power plants that generate almost 40 percent of power
supply in Nigeria, it would be "bad and tragic" if the order was not
suspended as the company would not be able to meet such an important
commitment.
Although
Access Bank’s counsel argued that suspending the interim order would amount to
delving into the substantive matters that ought to be determined in the main
appeal, the appellate court maintained that the bank had nothing to lose.
"The
fear and anxiety expressed by the 1st Respondent (Access Bank) appeared
unfounded. It would also not amount to hearing the substantive suit”, Justice
Ikyegh held, that the Supreme Court had established the principle that in
appropriate cases, the discretion of the court should be exercised in favour of
the party that would suffer if the interim order was not lifted.
"The
Supreme Court has held that where machines and workers would be rendered
useless, the court would intervene.
"Disruption
of business should be considered in the issue of balance of convenience. The
court will exercise its discretion in suspending the injunction.
"Practical
approach should be adopted and not do injustice to any of the parties.
"Where
considerable hardship will be done to a party, the court will intervene by
suspending the injunction or stay it.
"I found substance in the argument. The injunction restraining
the appellant from operating is hereby suspended.
"Order
on its accounts are also lifted pending the determination of the appeal",
he further held.
In an affidavit
deposed to in support of the application, Seplat maintained that it had no
links with the said loan or the fixed debenture with which the loan was
secured, hence the lower court was wrong to have issued the orders against it.
No comments